Unmarried Parents
  1. Home
  2.  » Unmarried Parents

Steps For Establishing Paternity

In Minnesota, the mother of a child born out of wedlock has sole legal and physical custody pending the filing of a paternity petition by the child’s father.

  • If you are the father of a child and are no longer living in the same household as the child’s mother, you will need to take legal action to enforce your parenting rights.
  • If you are the mother of a child and were never married to the child’s father, you can initiate proceedings for the support of the child.
  • These proceedings are common and are handled in a manner similar to the way they are handled in a divorce, but the proceeding is titled differently.

Either parent can initiate these proceedings. All issues, including custody, visitation and support, can be determined.

In these proceedings, the parent with higher income may be asked to pay the fees for attorneys.

I am firm founder Diane Kaer. With more than 35 years of experience, I have handled numerous paternity cases. Because of dual-state licensing, I can assist other attorneys for cases that are in California and/or Minnesota. I also assist clients on an as-needed basis.

Get The Support You Need

If you have a child and were not married to the child’s other parent, I can help you understand your rights and responsibilities. I will help you take the steps necessary to protect those rights.

Call Kaer Law, P.C., at (952) 432-4131 or email me for a no-cost discussion. There is absolutely no obligation on your part.