Preparing for Your Divorce
1. Gather/bring copies of the following:
- Financial information, including pay stubs for both you and your spouse, bank statements, investment account statements, current debts, and lists of monthly expenditures;
- Health insurance information, including monthly premiums;
- Work related child care information and costs;
- Life insurance;
- Real Property information, including addresses, mortgage balance, current value and deeds;
- Vehicle information, including loan balance and monthly payments;
- Tax returns from the last three years, including business and personal;
- Wills/trusts; and
- Premarital Contracts.
2. Domestic Violence:
- If your case involves domestic abuse bring copies of applications for or orders for protection and police reports
- By gathering this information you will be prepared for the most meaningful and productive initial consultation possible.
- Prospective counsel you interview will need it to understand your unique situation and accurately advise of your best options.
- You should start the preparation with a consultation whether or not you intend to retain counsel.